Due to its physical properties, titanium has become widely used in many industries. Its high tensile strength, corrosion resistance, improved fatigue life and ability to withstand high temperatures have made titanium the choice for many aerospace and marine applications.
The biocompatible nature of titanium has also opened up use in many medical applications. You will often find surgical implants, dental implants and tools constructed from titanium.
While titanium possesses all of these properties, as with other alloys, additional finishing is required to ensure that parts are clean and free of exogenous materials.
Passivation is a chemical process that helps restore the contaminated material to original corrosion specifications. The parts are processed in baskets and submersed into a diluted nitric or citric acid bath for a specified length of time and temperature. Passivation removes free iron and other foreign matter from the surface of the material. Passivation, however, is not effective in removing particulate that is imbedded in the pores of the metal. The process does not brighten or change the part appearance.
Electropolishing is essentially a “reverse plating” technique. By using a combination of chemicals and electrical current, electropolishing carefully removes surface imperfections and contaminants from metal parts. Precise monitoring removes as little as .0001” up to .0015” (per surface) to produce the desired result. Electropolishing offers multiple benefits in one operation to solve a variety of metal surface problems.
- Electropolishing will not distort delicate precision parts. Finished parts are micro-deburred and left in a clean, passive state ready for assembly.
- When critical parts have to form metal-to-metal seals or function as a bearing surface, Able Electropolishing can reduce microinch values up to 50%. By reducing friction, parts after electropolishing function better and last longer in service.
- Ultracleaned parts are completely free of residual dust, imbedded scale, foreign debris, oils, grinding compounds and other materials. Unlike plating or coatings, electropolished parts will not peel or abrade.
Fatigue Life Improvement
- Electropolishing removes surface irregularities that lead to premature part failure. Our process is particularly applicable to springs which are not suitable for shot-peening, vibra-finishing or plating.
- Electropolishing removes the outer skin of metal. In doing so,imbedded contaminants which can cause sub-surface corrosion are eliminated. The electropolished part is left in a homogenous and passive condition which offers superior corrosion resistance to chemical passivation.
How can Able help you? There is no better way to find out than to send us a sample part – we will electropolish it for FREE and send it back to you in a few days.
Contact us by calling 888-868-2900 or e-mail email@example.com to schedule your FREE sample.